Thursday, September 30, 2010

Close Call

So I'm biking to my UWP class in Wellman (coming from the dorms after a glorious nap) and I approach the spot where you turn to go behind Wellman. Then follows this sequence of events:
1. I stick my left arm out to show the one biker coming toward me that I'm about to turn.
2. A bike cop who came out of NOWHERE was suddenly riding alongside me and asked, "So what are you about to do here?"
3. I keep my left arm out and instead of turning right away, I get to the crosswalk part and make a sharp left after the V of bumps. Mind you, I was unaware that this was the proper way to turn because EVERYONE turns before the V of bumps.
4. The cop expresses approval and says, "You're the first person I've seen to do that correctly!"
5. He hands me an envelope containing a $7 gift certificate to on-campus food places!
I think the best part of it was that I was definitely about to go the illegal way and then somehow made the right decision when the cop spoke to me.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I've heard so many stories (my own included) about how the bike cops presence actually made people do the right thing to earn those gift certificates (even though they didn't know there was a certificate to receive). Priceless.

    ReplyDelete