Friday, August 6, 2010

Desert Paradise?

The water in Hawaii is so blue! And there are sea turtles everywhere, which is awesome; I swear I saw Crush and Squirt the other day. But one thing that you may or may not know about the Big Island in Hawaii (I certainly did not) is that it is mostly lava. Yes, brown, craggly lava. Certainly not the oasis of palm trees and awesome beaches that it is stereotyped to be (although those do exist on the island in spots). Apparently, the stereotypical Hawaii is on the islands of Oahu and Maui. But back to the lava- it is everywhere! It looks kinda gross, like you are driving through the desert or something, with the huge Mt. Doom looming in the background. I guess what I'm trying to say it that it caught me off guard.

4 comments:

  1. I got to touch one of the sea turtles when I was there, although you're not really supposed to... also "craggly"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i thought "craggly" was a word... apparently not because spell check put that little red line under it. however, that didn't stop me obviously. i was going for jagged or something like that
    and yeah, i touched a sea turtle too (but don't tell anyone)

    ReplyDelete
  3. craggy is a word. having many crags. i looked it up. couldnt help myself. and crags are rugged masses of rock projecting upward or outward. FUN FACTS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. boom! lawyered. excellent research shannon miller

    ReplyDelete