Friday, October 2, 2009

Thursday Started out Cold and Sleepy....

...but then I met Sunny.

Heading to lab at 8am is not my idea of fun, but school is school and C and I lazily rode our bikes to Roessler. We get to our lab room and the door is closed and everyone has the same grumbly expression we do. At around 8:05 the lab instructor next door let's us in and tells us to get into groups of around 4 and start working. C and I sit at the same lab table as last quarter, at the front next to the TA's lab table. So, we oblige and get to work with our other lab partners.....

At around 8:25, this girl walks in and askes me if I know where the head lab instructor is and I tell her he's next door. That was when I met Sunny. Everyone's working hard trying to get the lab done and Sunny tells us that she's our TA and interrupts our group to tell us that she needs our lab station and, eventhough we are about a half hour into the lab, she wants us to split up into the other groups and start from scratch. The way sleepy Kenny interpreted this request was "Hi, I want a 20 foot lab table all to my self, and I want you and your girlfriend to be in separate lab groups, and I want you to start the lab over with some other idiots who probably have crappy data, and I want you to do it with a smile all because I was 20 minutes late to my job!" ....Grumble.

C and I look at eachother and we agree that this is bullshit. We waste 10 minutes explaining to Sunny that we are half way done with the lab and it would be a riddiculous request to have us start all over again. After some broken english and Sunny insisting several times that it would be in our best interest to start the lab over, we convince her that she should just leave us alone....then we actually get some work done....until an hour into the lab....

One of the guys in our lab decides that he's not going to stick around and leaves because he's repeating the course and doesn't want to take the lab again. Sunny then approaches us again and says that it's perplexing to her to have a lab with only 3 people in it. (Last quarter I had a lab group with only 3 people, and I'm still alive to tell about it.) She says we should split up again, join another lab group again, start over with totally different data again (mind you, now we're an hour into the lab), and join other groups to make groups of 6 when the guy who runs the place tells us to get into groups of 4. C and I give eachother the "is this person for reals!" look and once again explain that it would be stupid to throw our data out just because you want the 20 foot lab table all to yourself. We easily convince her to leave us alone, telling her that next week we'll give her the 20 foot lab table and then be all smiles and giggles about it at 8 in the morning.... and eventually we finish the lab and get the heck out of there.

Moral of the story: My lab TA is riddiculous. My TA needs a 20 foot bubble during lab to sit by herself and play around with a lab set-up just so she can entertain herself and break up a perfectly functioning lab group. My TA thinks it's ok to stop a group 60 minutes into the lab and start over with totally new people....
But I can tell you that by next Thursday, I am going to sit in the front lab table right next to Sunny with my best friend....and I'm going to be all smiles and giggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment