Monday, November 30, 2009

Oblivious

This story takes place last Wednesday evening. I was going through security with my backpack and my mizuno duffle bag. I put all my belongings (sandals, cell phone, and sweatshirt included) on the conveyor belt and walked through. The guy doing the x-ray business told me to go back and take my laptop out and put it in its own bin (apparently laptops are more dangerous than pocket knives). He was pretty snooty about it, too. By now there were a lot of people in the line so I had to cut them and make them wait. I walked through again and quickly proceeded to gather my belongings so I wasn't in everyone's way. I walked to my gate and sat down, waiting ever-so-patiently for my flight to board. I was reading a book and listening to music, but I heard the woman say that they would begin preboarding for my flight. It was at this point that I looked down and saw that my backpack was the only bag that had made it to my seat with me. I was super embarrassed but kept my cool as I walked back to security. I kept imagining scenarios where the securtiy people found the bag and assumed there was a bomb in it or something and confiscated it. I got to the gate and explained my predicament to one of the kind ladies at the desk. I started to tell her how it had happened, but she said, "Oh honey, you don't need to make excuses. I've done it tons of times!" I'm glad I'm not the only forgetful one. I think what surprises me most about this story is how long it took me to realize I didn't have my other bag. I was sitting there for at least half an hour. They also announced it over the loudspeaker, but did I hear it? Of course not! I had my music cranked up like a dumbass.

No comments:

Post a Comment